Friday, January 11, 2013

More Unsolicited Advice from an Opinionated Foreigner


Sometimes it is very difficult to stick to one’s knitting, although as a matter of polite principle it is seldom borne as the wrong thing to do.
Not everyone shares this opinion, and a good number of them have been out in full force over the past couple of weeks. Talk of Britain reconsidering its membership in the European Union has elicited a great amount of comment. There are Belgians, Spaniards, Germans, French, Irish and even one erstwhile functionary of the US State Department who have all chimed in on the efficacy of such a move. Indeed, this veritable United Nations of punditry has dominated the UK press so thoroughly that it’s a wonder that anyone holding a British passport can get a word in edgewise.

From where I sit, this spate of clamoring is quite peculiar, as it comes almost on the eighth anniversary of keeping my own mouth shut – not an easy task, I assure you.

In late 2004, I was greeted with two happy occurrences. First and foremost was the birth of my lovely daughter. Around the same time, though, came the point where I had finished a manuscript. Within a couple of months, it would go to print with the rather ponderous, albeit self-evident, title “The Case for Commonwealth Free Trade.”
Within a short time of its publication, I had opportunity – and still do to this day – to meet and talk with a number of people in the UK. They inhabit a good portion of the political spectrum – UKIP, to Tory, to Labour – and they have always been very polite in their discourse and reasonable in their demeanor. I continue to value their friendship and their wise counsel.
It is no secret that the Commonwealth has often been cited as a possible alternative to membership in the European Union, and that many commentators in the British press and in political circles have made this argument. UKIP, in particular, has been explicit enough in this regard to have made it part of their policy manifesto, and campaigned on it in the last British general election.
Nevertheless, I have always tried to steer clear of the issue of a 'Brixit.' To be blunt, it is none of my business. I am a Canadian, born and raised, like successive generations of my family.  Ask me about NAFTA, about Quebec sovereignty, or the travails of politics in Ottawa, but Britain? Sorry, the most recent arrival of my ancestors to Canada left British shores almost 180 years ago. That's the moment when my family left their right to an opinion on British politics as well.
It is awkward, to be certain. I am, after all, a subject of Her Majesty, just like all of them. The coins in my pocket bear the Queen's likeness. I drive past a 'Prince Charles Public School' on my way to work each morning, and every Monday evening, I join all the other parents at standing straight while my 12 year old son's Navy Cadet corps wraps up their weekly parade with an a capella rendition of 'God Save The Queen.'
Nevertheless, the distance remains, and for all of the commonalities, I am a spectator.
Ask me if I'm pro-Commonwealth, and I will give you a resounding and unqualified yes. Ask me whether Britain should stay in the EU or vote to leave, and I'll be resigned to fidgeting through the quiet awkwardness of my own design. If pushed, I'll tell you that Canada should build up its Commonwealth connections - Australia, New Zealand, India, Singapore to name a few. Prod me more, and I'll tell you that the people of Britain need to consider their own path, their own future.

That, of course, is the roundabout point to this piece. Britain's future belongs to its people - its many citizens who go about their business quietly building and renewing a great country, one with a storied past and a bright future. It does not belong to the chattering classes on the continent, and it certainly does not belong to an American diplomat. It does not even belong to a friendly cousin from the Dominions, no matter how well meaning they might be.

No one from beyond Britain's shores has anything to contribute to the EU membership debate - pro or con - even if they believe they do.
In the coming months, it is likely that the country will be facing an important decision on their future with Europe. It will be a tough discussion to have, but challenging situations have never been shied away from. They are the land of Elizabeth and Victoria, of Wellington and Nelson, of Churchill and Thatcher. They have always been at their best when things have been their trickiest.

Like any loyal friends, rather that lecture and cajole the British people on the future of their nation, I would offer the following:

We are your friends.
We have been your friends in good times and bad.
We trust you and respect you.
Make your choice and know that we will always be in your corner whatever you decide.

Good luck to you all.

No comments: